Saturday, May 7, 2016

        I think each week has three Friday's at least. Every time I turn around it 's Friday & time to write. It's ok with me if no one reads our blog , it 's my mission journal . I will make a book of it when we return home.
         An interesting week for sure.
        We met a Chinese man named Roy.    He is seventy years old, sits Indaian style on the floor, and looks like Ghandi. He said his plants talk to him,.He believes in God but not in the Devil. He said God is great & would never make someone evil like Satan. When he first invited us into his home he gave us a Lindt chocolate truffle which was wonderful. I thanked him & told him I love chocolate so he gave me a bag of truffles to take home. Later in our conversation he told me how bad those truffles were for me, that he never eats them, and I would get diabetes . Needless to say I left them on the table as we were going out the door. When I told my friend Betty about them she said I should have brought them for her. Actually after a very discouraging couple of days I wished I had them myself !  
Roy said there is no hell. We live upon the earth then we all die & everyone goes to heaven. So I asked "What is our purpose on earth then ? " He just looked at me. He is an origami artist . His house is filled with beautiful folded items of all sorts, , birds,  octagons in numerous colors & sizes , flowers & one that looked like a flying saucer. He gave me a tiny set of orange balls with big loops attached. They were very tiny folded pieces of paper, very delicate. I told him I was going to loop them over my ears & wear them to church on Sunday &  so maybe he should come to church with us to see them. He declined. He makes people out of rocks and gave Stan & Me each one to take home. A funny thing he told us....he said I am flexible & Stan is not ! He has heard the Joseph Smith story & was given a Book of Mormon to read by other missionaries. Sigh....
        We had  a couple of appointments which fell through. We knocked doors and no one let us in. Tanna ,the author ,has 3 children & has never been married. When we went to teach her on Tuesday she was not feeling well.She was happy as she announced she was pregnant with #4.
         We saw Marcio & his family again. He didn't let us in this time. We were going to teach them what family home evening was. I had a  lesson prepared about honesty & obedience with these cute little spider people. We will try again this coming week.
         For Relief Society we hiked up to a beautiful waterfall. Afterwards we went to the Relief Society presidents home & roasted hot dogs over a campfire & laughed ourselves silly. Of course Stan comes to all these activities , I think he was memorizing poetry . I keep thinking I will loose weight on this mission but we are always eating with members & non-members , branch activities and truffles. Hmmmm.
             We were able to travel to the Vancouver temple again this week. So nice to be there. I love the temple so much. It's very small . They have probably 10 officiators in the entire temple. I believe we had 150 workers for each shift in Idaho Falls. They only have two sessions in the morning and one in the evening with nothing in between. Very different.
         We just found out in Canada you can get a ticket for running a yellow light.  Idaho Falls needs to adopt that rule.ha.
          I have found as we study each day a whole new world opens to us. The spirit can really teach when we are consistent & prayerful in our studies . I have learned many things, my testimony has been stretched and strengthened. We have been greatly blessed. Last week we went to Bellingham to get gas & groceries & to visit our investigator from Iran, Laya. When we went to the bank Stan left his credit card in the little vacuume tube and we drove away. We went to a store where I left my blue purse in the buggy as we walked out. Later down the road Stan missed his credit card. In a panic we drove back to the bank & inquired about it. The person right behind us in the drive thru saw it & turned it in. Relief & praise to the Lord. That would have been a lot of trouble for us. After that I realized I left my blue purse in the store buggy. We raced back to the store ( that's how we know about yellow lights ) to see if someone turned it in. Now mind you, we are not in Idaho any more. We're in the real world. However , the clerk saw my purse & put it under the counter for when I came back. BLESSINGS !!!
    We love serving a mission. We love the work. Our testimonies of the gospel are stronger than ever as we serve each day. I am so grateful to Heavenly Father for the eight miracles that allowed me to serve a mission with my very own Honey. The experiences we are having each day couldn't be replaced. I miss our children & grandchildren but we know they are praying for us and that helps a lot. We love you all.  Hold tight to the Iron rod and don't ever let go. This is a scary world but we have all the help we need to make it through. Always always have faith & be unshakeable in your testimony of Jesus Christ.
     

1 comment:

  1. I read your blog! What great experiences and fun people you meet! I'm so glad you found your purse and credit card.

    ReplyDelete