Saturday, May 28, 2016

    It's been raining not stop for two weeks here in the rain forest but it doesn't hold back the missionary work in British Columbia.  Ahhh.
    I learned bears smell like skunks so you can tell when they are near. Speaking of bears, we were invited to dinner at the home of the bear & beet soup family. Low & behold, they served bear patties, fake pasta is a scary sauce & a weed salad. They have two dogs but wouldn't you know it,  they locked them in a room while we ate. I was going to feed them while I was there.
    We rented a U-Haul on Monday so we could drive to Chilliwack to pick up a very nice free piano. The Lord blessed us with another piano. Yes, that's two in four months. Our non-member friend in Agassiz wanted to learn to play the piano.  So we had the young Elders help us get the piano in the  U - Haul.  Stan drove it sixty miles to their home. I followed in our little blue car honking & waving as I drove. I couldn't help myself, I never get to drive here. We delivered the piano where they insisted we stay & have lunch. Fetima made a beautiful Iranian feast. I don't care for their food but they were celebrating a family birthday with chocolate cake , yummy.
      Would you believe the police here park their  cars and then stand in the median with a bullet proof vest & a radar gun pointed at the cars. When you get caught they don't chase you; they just wave you over as you spot them with the radar aimed at you. Sigh. They also drive around in unmarked cars the Canadians call "Ghost Cars ".
     This week we learned of some scary news. Our little branch doesn't hold any mutual ; instead they  send all the teenagers to the Baptist church for activities each week. We are in shock !!, we called the Mission President but are waiting to hear what he wants us to do. (They have been doing this for a year). The mission President's mother passed away this week. He has gone to the States so we will have to wait.
    We taught Tanna again this week. She doesn't want to pray or read the Book of Mormon or come to church, but she likes us to visit her.  She is a  published author but can't read. Is that even possible ?
    We had two appointments to teach Cindy but she re-scheduled both of them.
     We went to see Roy who believes God is love & that everyone goes to heaven not matter what we do in this life. Stan committed him to read the Book of Mormon. We are going "Nook-Shook " hunting with him on Wednesday morning.
       I made homemade cinnamon rolls for the Young missionaries & lunch for Distruct meeting. We also took a plate of cinnamon rolls to our investigator Christine for her daughters graduation.
      We visited the Italians, Martin & Amelia. We taught Martin the Apostasy & Restoration. The spirit was strong, he was very attentive. Then Amelia woke up from her nap, came in the room , slugged me in the face and claimed she loved me. "So good to see you my friend "; I love to have you visit " you could have fooled me.  Stan tried to finish the lesson , she kept interrupting, so we concluded our visit with a prayer.
      My friend, our hopefully soon to be investigator Lucy ,gave me one of her grandmothers'  bone china tea cup and saucer from England for my birthday. It's breathtaking & over one hundred and twenty years old. Stan persuaded her to let us give her a lesson.
      We drove the four hour trip to Langly Friday to the temple. We took Betty and also Jack with us. I just love love the temple. I hope to go back to working there when we get home. The pay is out of this world !
       Marlene  is coming to church tomorrow. We are so excited. It will be her second time.
     Oh dear, I was asked to lead the music at District meeting this week. I told the young Elder not only can't I lead the music but I can't keep time either. He smiled and said :"you'll do great ".  Well the song he choose was a six eight time. So I bravely stood up, smiled and waved my arm. It was a bit of a peppy song and I found that leading the music is a lot like writing in the air with sparklers on the 4 th of July.  Before I knew it all the young missionaries had their heads bowed and we're trying to sing amid the laughing. I may  have turned a circle or two & realized I had become a little dramatic with my hand sparkler and so quickly changed to a mere flag wave for the rest of the song. I really shouldn't be asked to lead. Some people are better left to humming along in a crowd.
     Everyday is an adventure on a mission. You never know what to expect. We would have not met these interesting people or had these experiences had we not come. We love our Heavenly Father and our savior Jesus Christ. The Book of Mormon is true. We have a living prophet. We are so blessed. We love our mission. We love you all.
      Love, Elder & Sister Fisher

1 comment:

  1. Fabulous week! Ah, I love the sparklers story! I can just see me giggling in the crowd too. I bet everyone loved your cinnamon rolls. How wonderful you were able to deliver another piano! You two are awesome!

    ReplyDelete