Saturday, June 4, 2016

        Today, June 4th it's 94 degrees with 70 % humidity..Weeee !  We went to Chilliwack to join with missionaries & members in a tracting blitz. I went with a member of the Chilliwack ward. She is a returned missionary from Chili. We knocked 25 doors, talked  to a few, invited many & melted in the hot sun.  Stan went with another young missionary. They tracted about 15 doors with one who would listen to them.  Later we rejoined the others for a Bbq at the church.
          Our friend Jack, asked me to hem his temple pants & He didn't feel well another day so instead of having him over, we took dinner to him. I guess this is part of the work as Senior missionaries.
         Lucy ( my atheist friend) & I had a good visit. We laughed ourselves silly about hiding chocolate in our sock drawer while Stan serenaded us with the piano in the background.
      Oh, we went "nook-shooking" with our philosopher friend, Roy. He's the orgami man who believes there is no Satan. We spent two hours hiking up & down mountains to get to the rivers edge looking for the nooks and shooks. Next time he will show us how to put them together. He gave me a big "dark " chocolate bar. He knows I'm a bit of a chocolate fan. We invited him to a dinner party. He was shocked someone would invite him to dinner. When he declined , I asked him if he was afraid we would turn him into a Mormon. He laughed but still didn't go.
      Although, Marlene went to the dinner and had quite a good time. She also came to church on Sunday. She comes over to our apartment when she sees we are home. She slugs me often; I think it's what I say . Today she brought us fresh strawberries. Yummy. We're hoping she comes to church tomorrow too.
     Ohhhhh.... We have a new manager in our apartment complex. We have nick-named her "the
Spy". One morning I was upstairs, Stan went out the sliding door to give peanuts to the bluejays, which by the way, we now have four bluejay friends that come over everyday. Anyway, the sliding door locked behind Stan. He jumped the neighbor's fence to come in the front door (in his suit ). The " spy " saw him out her window which is on the other side of our apt. She told all the neighbors what he was doing. Really? that could give him a bad reputation. We have a big picture window which she keeps walking by to stare at us. I have my camera ready. The next time she does that ,I'm going to take her picture. Ha !
       Ah,  I was invited to the family history center on Thursday in Abbotsford which is about an hour & half away.  The two head family history gruru 's of the Stake came on Sunday to teach those who wanted to learn how to do family history. I met with the head guy for over an hour. He is a kind Japenese man. He is so used to helping first , second and third generations of converts find tons of temple work to be done in their family tree. He said he had never seen such a challenging family tree as mine. He couldn't find anyone who's work wasn't done. He took a picture of my tree and took it home to break the challenge. Monday morning he called  so excited & invited me to meet with him on Thursday to show me he broke "the case". He had to go back to the 1500's to find a name to do . He was successful & so happy. So we worked together for two hours finding a Widmer (my mother's side )  family in Drentister , Bern, Switzerland  to do Ordinances for. We were shaking hands, patting each other on the back , and high-five-ing as we found 20 ordinances I can take to the temple to complete. Who would have thought family history could be so fun !  He wants me to return for two more weeks to teach me more. We will see what our schedule allows. I wanted to learn so I can set up a family history class on Thursdays at the branch for my non- members friends. Lucy, Marlene and Christine are all interested. Jack wants to come too.
       The mission president called today. We will have zone conference on Wednesday in Abbotsford. He made an appointment for us to meet afterward with him, the stake president and our branch president. Woah !!! I wonder what trouble I am in now. We shall see.
       The work here is hard. We have to think outside the box to find ways to bring Christ into the lives of the people. Stan & I have a new game going.... We see how many people we can smile & wave at  who will shoot us "I could kill you " look.  But our goal is to do just what we can to bring the light of the gospel into the lives of others. So we rise everyday with faith & prayers to be ready for the task as our hearts are willing. We love our Heavenly Father, our Savior, Jesus Christ, and missionary work. This is the time we have set aside in our lives to do what we can to help build the kingdom. We are trying our best to follow the spirit, be an instrument for the Lord, and bloom where we have been planted.  We love you all,
      Elder and Sister Fisher
   

2 comments:

  1. Wonderful! That is a fabulous story about family history.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love reading your blog! It's so entertaining and inspiring :) You guys are absolutely incredible missionaries!! I admire and adore you so much! We miss you!!!

    ReplyDelete