Monday, October 31, 2016

   Monday we made a trip to Bellinghanm to help fulfill the requirements of our visa to cross the boarder once in a while. The guard at the inquired if we are converting anyone. "No such luck " l reported back, " can we give you a lesson?" I asked. He smiled and quickly handed back our passports and wished us luck.
     It was refreshing to get back in the States again, mainly because the fuel and groceries are half the price there. I purchased 30 gallons of gas. My little blue Hyndani , l named it Blue Tango, gets 40 miles per gallon.
     I like to go help our friend Martin, a guy from Italy, with his garden and chickens cause his back hurts. He let me clean out the chicken coop. It's probably been a while since it's been cleaned because l loaded a whole wheelbarrow and dumped it on the garden . We then spread some fresh sawdust in to make the birds coasey for the cold weather. Martin offered me a dozen eggs.
    I haven't seen any meaintance for the apartments here so l cleaned the furnace and filter to prep it for winter.
    On Friday we were lucky enough to go to the temple and do two sessions. Only on Friday can we do two back to back. I get pretty excited to see and feel how Adam and Eve had to bring on the Fall.
    Sunday l played the piano for prelude, the hymns, and the primary program. The kids surprised me with how well they did because last week's dry run was a disaster. The Branch President wanted to hold a fifth Sunday meeting for the adults, but the president had to be at the hospital on account his fourty year old son is dying of cancer. Probably any day now. The first counselor is moving away this week so he couldn't do it and the other counselor had the gospel doctrine class so I volunteered. I chose the doctrine of agency because l think it is mostly  misunderstood. Everyone seems to think they are a free agent and can do what ever they want. The truth is we are all agents of Christ and are obligated to keep the commandments and create happy families. One old high priest argued,"l still have my  freeagency!" I countered "lts like having a mortgage . Can you say to the bank it's Christmas so l don't have to pay you this month?" He railroaded the discussion and prevented me from bringing out the beautiful parts of this doctrine, but a couple of members tried to rescue me.
     Rain, rain, there's been so much rain in October the weather people think a record will be broken. Almost 200 millimeters so far, that's 7.8 inches. Friday the sun broke through and l was able to sneak in a bicycle ride, 50 kilometers.
      I've been reading the Book of Mormon and I think the best sermon on the atonement of Christ is given by Abinadi. Wouldn't it be fun to meet him and listen to him teach?
      See you next week. Love from Elder Fisher.

1 comment:

  1. That was nice of you to help Martin. Have you ever thought of handing out the pass-a-long card the church has made? They're uplifting and would be easy to hand to strangers.
    Sorry your agency lesson didn't go as planned. I like what The Peacemaker points out: it's not a smorgasbord of any choice we want. Our choice is to serve God or the Devil. Maybe some thought you were saying "you have to serve God since you're baptized." I know lots of people who have chosen otherwise. They still get to choose.

    ReplyDelete