Monday, January 2, 2017

Whew...what a week.   Happy New Year to everyone.  We can't believe it's January already. We have almost been on our mission for a year. Time goes so fast in some ways. This week flew by. We drove to Rchmond to help with the missionaries transports. We were there for three days. Two of the three were sixteen hour days, from 6:00 am til 11:00 pm. We loved every minute. We drove through the concrete jungle from the mission office to the airport  to send off departing missionaries and other trips were to pick up the arrivals.  We also drove back & forth to the ferry. One run they asked Stan to drive the mission van while I was to take Sister missionaries in our car. I don't drive in Salt Lake because I get lost. I didn't want to drive in that kind of traffic (which is ten times worse than SLC ) but I couldn't say no. Stan promised to take care of me so I followed him back & forth. They don't have curb & gutter here so at one point I was driving on the sidewalk. One of the Sister missionaries with me suggested  it might be better if I drove on the road.
     On one of our trips we were transporting one Elder and three Sisters from a pick up at the airport to the mission office. The sisters told us that the Elder with us is an accomplished vocalist. So he sang all the way from the airport to the mission office. He had the most smooth perfect pitch accupella voice. He sang : Come Thou Font Of a Every Blessing.
                           How Great Thou art
                           Be Still My Soul.
                           I Stand All Amazed.
                           Nearer My God To Thee.
                           Lead Kindly Light.
I can't described the feelings I had, the way I felt in my heart, or the tears that fell. It was a treasured experience. Such a beautiful blessing , peacefully unassuming, unexpected, truly loved.
    On the lightest day of the driving we were asked to help the office  couples with meals. The office has two senior couples. One of  them is a dear friend I knew from the pre-existance( she told me so ). She also is the cousin of Marie Osmond. The other couple, the husband sang in the Tabernacle Choir for twenty years & his wife has served on the  Primary General board. They are both such a blessing to be around.
    On the way back to Hope after our work there , we met with the Stake President.  He called Stan to be the first counselor in the Hope branch presidency. He was sustained and set apart on New Year's Day. This is his third time of being in the Bishopbric. He's a good man.
   We were invited to Lucy's for a traditional English New Year dinner on Sunday. We enjoyed Prime Rib, roasted potatoes, carrots, Brussels sprouts, Yorkshire pudding ( which isn't pudding at all ) beets, fake champagne, and Tuxedo for dessert.  There was China, Crystal, and candlelight. Everything was British prim and proper. After dessert I taught everyone how to play "what is it " and we sang in our Crystal champagne  glasses for pretend microphones. I guess I'm not that prim & proper. We all laughed and had a wonderful time.
    Today was sad. We drove to Chilliwack to attend the funeral of our Branch president 's son. He was 43 and just passed away from cancer. A beautiful twelve year old girl with the voice of an angel sang : " Going Home ". Both Stan & I cried like babies thinking of our own Matthew who has gone home. In Canada everyone brings fruit, small sandwiches, Squares and  raw vegetables. Everyone who attends th funeral goes in the gym to eat and mingle. The first time I thought it was weird, but now it's comfortable and makes good sense as the family can walk around to talk with everyone.
    We had a very special Mission Christmas. Sometime maybe we can share it with you. It's wonderful to be on a mission. We are so happy. I was so excited to go on a mission and now I understand why.
    We just finished reading the Book of Mormon as a mission. So today we started at the beginning  to read it again. What a blessing the Book of Mormon is. - we love our Heavenly Father. We love our Savior, Jesus Christ. We love being part of his army if missionaries. What a huge blessing and opportunity it is for us. Always keep the faith & endure to the end. It's so worth it. We love you all. Have a great week.

Love, Elder & Sister Fisher

1 comment:

  1. All of these experiences sound amazing! That took a lot of bravery to drive. I love hearing talented people sing. Congrats to Dad on his new calling! I miss you and love you both!

    ReplyDelete