Tuesday, April 18, 2017

    Just an interesting day in the mission field.  We were up at 5:00 am to drive the AP's to the airport for a zone conference. We came home & went for our two mile walk, then home to study. We made breakfast and took it over to the mission office to eat with the senior couples there .We love them. We made hashbrowns,  sausage, vegetable & cheese omelets, blueberry muffins ,apple juice and a fruit plate.  After breakfast we hit the road finding and visiting less actives. At one home the lady answered the door, scowled at us and stepped out on the porch. We introduced ourselves. She snapped :"I can read " pointing to our tag. She is a member who quit church because people are onery & mean. She believes in Joseph Smith but that's all. Finally she invited us into her home where  her four barking dogs gave us each a headache. We invited  her back to church. "That's never going to happen ", she told us. Mostly people don't let us in, but occasionally someone does.  
     We took a young missionary from the Phillipines & his companion shopping. The president said he only has one suit and it has a big hole in the back of the jacket. So we went to buy him a suit . Stan also gave him a pair of shoes, four ties, a white shirt and belt. His favorite was a red flashlight and a watch, which Stan also gave him. Who knew he had been on a mission a whole year without owning a watch. It was fun to see him so happy.
   From there we went to an appointment , a new convert from Iraq. We are teaching her English.  It fun to teach her because she has such a good attitude and is so willing to learn. She gave up her country, her family and everything she knows to join the church. She was Muslim.
   We also taught our Chinese English class. The ward mission leader & his wife prepared a large Easter meal to invite non members. Because our Chinese class are all non members, we took them all to the dinner. They loved everything about it. Stan & I went to the church early to set up tables & chairs. I was in the kitchen helping cut tomatoes for a Greek salad when the mission leaders' son (about six ) came us to me and said :" Give me your knife." I looked at him and said : "Go get your own". Really ?  Who tells a 6 year old to go get a butcher knife ???
    Today supposed to be Pday so we did our laundry. We only have three hours a week with
Mondays as our assigned day. We share a small laundry room with all those in our building. It costs around $20. to wash & dry two loads.
  Spring as arrived. It is so beautiful here in British Columbia. Almost every shrub, bush and hedge are loaded with flowers of every color. There are actually "Rose " trees. Bright colored tulips grow in bunches along the roadways. Between singing "Popcorn popping  " white blossoms on trees and the beautiful pink cherry blossoms , it is a Delightful Spring suprise. We are loving it !
   This week we went to see our friend Kirsten. She is the lady who had brain cancer when she was twelve. She is very disabled , lives in a care home, never had the opportunity to marry or be a mom. Stan played the piano for her while she and I sang her favorite songs. "There is Sunshine in my Soul",  "I Stand all amazed ",  and " I am a Child of God ".  It 's such a sacred experience to be in her presence. Angels are always there. I love her.
    So we went to an extremely upscale restaurant in Vancouver this week with the  mission president,
his wife and four senior couples who all work in office assignments. It was wonderful to be together with all the leaders of the mission. But, wouldn't you know it.... First the waiter spilled a glass of ice water on me. Then, as we were eating the pre-dinner fresh bread, I saw a human tooth on my plate.
 I thought the cook who made the bread lost a tooth in the dough & I happened to get it .Shortly after that, I discovered I had a big hole in between my teeth. It scared me as I thought: " oh my, if one of my teeth could fall out, maybe all of them will fall out on the table in front of me. " so I started to cry.  It was so embarassing.....really, who has their teeth fall out at a fancy dinner party ?
    The days are going too fast. There is so much finding to do. So many people to tell the "good news" to.  We love love being missionaries. There's nothing like a mission to stretch you physically and spiritually. We have truly been blessed. We are so grateful to the Lord for this opportunity to serve at this time of our lives.  We have come to appreciate so many things that we have taken for granted before.  We love our dear Savior so much !

We love you all tons !  Keep your light bright and your testimonies strong .
Love,
Elder & Sister Fisher

2 comments:

  1. I have been terrible about logging in and reading your blog. I've been missing out!! I have not, however, missed out on praying for you every day!! I do not worry about you however, as I know of no one who has more faith that the two of you!! I got to see parts of your beautiful family yesterday. They are such a joy! I feel blessed to be related. I have not forgotten you. I love you!! Karen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow what a week! I love that Dad gives everyone a flashlight. Isn't spring wonderful? I never understood popcorn trees until I moved to Utah. Oh so sad about your tooth! I would have cried too. But it's still kinda funny... You are both so wonderful. Miss you dearly!

    ReplyDelete