Sunday, July 9, 2017

     Is it really July ?  What a week.  Each day is so different with many many things to do.  We had two days of driving missionaries to and from the airport for MLC meeting with the new president. We had so many missionaries that Stan drove the van full of missionaries and I followed with more missionaries in our little blue car. I was suprised they let me drive after hitting the cyclists and with a torn minescus in my knee. When the Lord calls we answer.  Stan and I also were asked to prepare a lunch for 60 hungry missionaries and the New president.  It turned out great even though I had to spend the next day in bed. Ugg!
    Our two friends , Betty & Jim, from Hope came out to see us. We took a few hours off to go out to lunch, catch up on the happenings in Hope & do a bit of sight seeing. It was fun to see them again.
    Our new president gave a great zone conference. He is president Wong from the Seventies over the Asia area. He is so awesome. We're sorry we will have such a short time to serve with him. Right  in  the middle of the conference, which was held in the cultural hall, he lead a basketball play off between two elders & one sister. He taught us great valuable principles while entertaining us with shooting hoops. He directed us to sing "Called to Serve" in everyone's home language. We had ten different languages in our small group of about twenty missionaries. For the closing song we did the same thing with "I Am A Child Of  God." It was amazing.
     We had a meeting with the Bishop to debrief him on our work with less actives. He thanked us for our hard work for him. We have visited over ninety less active homes he assigned us to see. He said it's been years since someone has visited some of these people. He really appreciated what we have done, then he gave us a list of nine more to see this week. I'm sure there will be more in the coming weeks. We have had some interesting experiences in this work and have made some dear new friends.
   Oh... On the 4th of July we escaped across the border with our friends, the other two senior couples from the office. We took S'mores, matches, jackets, cameras, and six padded folding chairs from the office. Everyone stared at us carrying office chairs, but hey, we don't have any lawn chairs here. We set-up on the beach with the ocean as our backdrop . Stan, our trusty Boy Scout, built us a nice campfire and carved us willow roasting sticks.  One of the couples, Elder Torman as a policeman in his former life. He said : " you can't build a campfire on the beach ". We said :"we can until someone tells us we can't ". We had great fun roasting marshmallows ,making s'mores, playing name that tune with music from our IPhone while we waited for the fireworks. We were in Point Roberts Washington. It 's a quaint little town so we didn't expect much but the fireworks were thirty minutes long of awesomeness. It was so fun. We broke curfew and didn't get home until after twelve. Oops !  It was so fun !
    Stan takes me for physical therapy every week to help me survive until I can get home to have my knee fixed. We have run so hard on this mission, it's a bummer that I am struck with this my-lady at the last month. Satan sure is acting like a devil with my knee. But we will go on. I'll rest another day.
    It was Matt's birthday this week. It's been sixteen years and I miss him everyday. I am so grateful that we know families are forever. That he is still our Matt, just in a different place where we can't see him. We know he is being a great missionary because he loved it so much here. He has just gone ahead  and what a reunion it will be when are together again. Keep the faith, choose the right and be happy . We have a most loving Heavenly Father who gave His Son to be our Reedemer. Jesus Christ lives. He is the head of this church. He will return again. I know that. We love and miss you all.

Love, Elder and Sister Fisher

1 comment:

  1. Wonderful letter! I'm glad you got to see Betty and Jim and celebrate the 4th. Elder Wong sounds neat! I also miss Mary so much. I'm sure he's proud of you too.

    ReplyDelete