Friday, April 8, 2016

Put on the breaks, time is going to fast !  Each week we are busier than the week before. But that's great.  Knocking doors has been very beneficial to us here.
     We loved General Conference !
This week we had some "hair raising" experiences.  We went to Bellingham to see our friend Laya & to buy groceries & gas we could afford . So we were driving down the road on a two lane street in the city. A car came speeding by us and sideswiped our car on my side. It made a huge "sounds like the car is really smashed in " sound. The unreal part was the car kept going. Yes, hit us & then drove off. Who does that ?  So our pretty little new car has to go have some body work done. I feel I need the same. Ha !  Gratefully neither Stan or I was injured.  The insurance said the repairs will be about $1800 so it could be worse.
       The next day we went out in the country for a teaching appointment.  We knocked at the door while a 200 pound black Rottweiler sniffed around us. I'm hyperventilating . A voice calls to us from above, "who are you & what do you want " ? We step out from the porch so she can see us. " Hi, it's us, we came to teach you today ".  She said she would come right down. In the meantime the dog is still right there. We are standing in a filthy garage. The Rottweiler  jumps up on Stan, puts his huge paws on both sides of his suit & slobers on his pink tie. His face is as big as Stan's as their eyes meet.  Stan pushes him down. Then the black giant comes at me. I turned away from him as he jumped at me from the side. My church going outfit would never be the same. Stan rescued me.  Then we hear Real Indian drum beats & cries with Indian chants. First I thought we were in the movies. Then I became very scared. One voice started the chant, then another & another. I said to Stan "let's run for the car ". He just looked at me. Then the women comes out & greets us with a baby on her hip so dirty I could barley see his little black eyes. She had been crying for a long time. Stan asked her what we could do to help  ?  She tells us that two of her family died, that the drums & chants were people who came to help her mourn. "What can we do " he asks . She said hug her. So we hugged her as she held on tight and sobbed. He then said we could pray with her. So he started to pray . "no ! " she said and we both opened our eyes. "That's not how to pray. We hold hands."  ... So we gather in a circle Stan & I each holding her hand. Stan starts praying. She lets go of my hand & puts my arm around her back & holds my other hand. She lays her head on my shoulder. Here comes the icky part ,   The huge  black Rottweiler  jumps in the middle of the circle , his head next to mine as he slobbers & drools all over my arms & hands. It's oozing through my fingers . He stinks to high heaven.  I start to gag. This is all durning the prayer . I need to run & throw myself in the river but we're missionaries. So she asks for a couple more hugs after the prayer & tells us to come back next week.  As we get to the car, I promptly threw up.  I cried & told Stan "I'm not a very good missionary. I can't do that again ". He didn't say much & drove me home so I could shower & throw my clothes in the washer. We need to find someone to go on splits with him for this investigator.  But we are the only missionaries in the area. The branch president is 74 and in very poor health. The first counselor just had a heart attack & is going in for bypass surgery. The other counselor works three jobs. Hmmm, we shall see what next week brings.
   We had a great experience with teaching a new investigator , Sydnee. We taught the lesson on the Restoration & invited her to church on Sunday. We will see if she comes. We also have found another new family from Brazil. Marcio & Salimia & their two children. They are very nice.
    We love being missionaries. We never know how our day is going to go. It's certainly not boring here. I do minimum  housework as our apartment is very small & we don't have much time anyway for that. So it's good. We love the Lord. We love the gospel. We are blessed to have the opportunity to serve a mission.
Until next week then. Love, Elder & Sister Fisher

We had a new dish this week......Greek Chicken.

3 comments:

  1. Sounds exciting and dirty. I am afraid I would have the same reaction to the dog and dirty as Carol. You are doing great, I can tell.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds exciting and dirty. I am afraid I would have the same reaction to the dog and dirty as Carol. You are doing great, I can tell.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Agh! That dog story I'd both hilarious and horrifying! I'm so glad you wrote it down 😃

    ReplyDelete